Travelers passing through the U.S. on their way to another country don’t need to be trapped in the airport. The C-1 visa, also known as the transit visa, enables traveling nonimmigrants to leave the airport and visit family or friends or partake in tourism. While you are required to leave the U.S. on your departing flight, this visa allows you to spend your waiting time enjoying your surroundings.

The C-1 visa is also used by crew members who need to come to the U.S. because they have been assigned to be a crew member on a ship or aircraft.

Each family member should apply for a separate C-1 visa, which will enable the entire family to travel through the U.S. C-1 visas are valid for up to 29 days. Nonimmigrants with C-visa status may not change their status or be employed while in the U.S.